Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Forest Park Farmers Market

We are vegetarians and love fruits and veggies. So, today I went to Forest Park Farmers market. I have never seen such a market in USA. It was sort of what we have in India, but here much bigger because there's plenty of space available. Most of the stall owners/farmers didn't have refrigeration systems unlike most stores and markets in US. They don't give receipts nor do they have any systematic checkout system. You buy and pay cash. Some vendors are just wholesale, some do retail too.

I spent about an hour there, I had to come back early to pick up my son. In an hour I couldn't see the whole market, it was that huge. And it was really cheap (I mean real cheap) I have no idea how can they afford to sell at that rate. I wonder if they even know the cost of fruits and produce at publix / kroger. The prices I paid for fruits/veggies, I don't think I would get (some of them) it in India, considering Mumbai is so expensive. Here's what I bought today

3nectarines + 3 plums = $1.00
Potatoes 4lbs @$0.75/lbs = $3.00
Okra 2lbs @1.5/lbs = $3.00
Coconut 1 = $1.00
Tomatoes 8 big vine ripe = $3.00
clementine oranges 6 = $1.00
cucumbers 8 big = $3.00
Lemons 4 = $0.50
Guvava 1 = $2.00
Strawberries 1 pack = $1.00
I pay minimum $2.50 (if it is on sale) to get the same strawberries.

Can you believe it ?

It's too far from my place about 20 miles one way. I don't think I'll be driving this far every week. May be once every 2-3 weeks. Next time, I'll see things which I missed today.

If you are in Atlanta or nearby, check this place. Don't expect anything fancy. There were some things I couldn't find, next time I want to look for cherries, curry leaves. There was one vendor selling cherries for wholesale about 10 bags. Good if you have couple of friends to share with. I must add I didn't have time to see other buildings.

Have a great day!!

6 comments:

Indian in NZ said...

Hey RJ, we are vegetarians too ! They have almost such a market here called 'flee market' where they sell cheap veges, but since it opens at 9am on weekend, I don't go there at all...

Solitaire said...

Wow. Healthy food for so cheap! Normally junk food is cheaper.

bee said...

wow this is a great place. we were in your neck of the woods this summer. went to dekalb market, but didnt know about this one.

glad that the recipes turned out well at your party.

-jai

Indian in NZ said...

Hope everything is ok RJ...its been a while since you posted.

Indian in NZ said...

THanks for you comments RJ. Hope you are doing fine. WIsh you a very happy new year!

Indian in NZ said...

Almost 2 yrs since you posted ! Hope everything is ok. THought of tagging you and hopefully get you motivated to write a post ;-)

Take care